«Restoration and Conservation Management of Drana lagoon in Evros Delta» LIFE-Nature 2000
The Project, in which OIKOS Ltd was scientific coordinator, aims at:
- The restoration of Drana lagoon and acquisition of its former ecological features.
- The restoration of habitats as a bird and fish sanctuary, by allowing both salt and fresh water inputs.
- The restoration and maintenance of wet meadows for the protection of avifauna species.
- The expansion of critical habitats, in the form of restoring riparian woodland.
- The reduction of disturbance to priority bird species and habitats, by effective safeguarding of the site.
- The awareness / sensitization of locals and visitors.
Avifauna species: Red-breasted Goose (Branta ruficollis), Lesser White-fronted Goose (Anser erythropus), Slender-billed Curlew (Numenius tenuirostris), Imperial Eagle (Aquila heliaca), Spotted Eagle (Aquila clanga).
Conservation Management Actions
- Studies: «Drana lagoon characteristics recording» and «Identifying of the necessary technical works for the restoration of Drana lagoon» (in collaboration with the Greek Biotope/Wetland Centre).
- Technical specifications for works related to the restoration of Drana lagoon and to the construction of low barrage in Loutros stream.
- Environmental Impact Assessment Study of the Project: "Restoration and Conservation Management of Drana lagoon in Evros Delta".
- Monitoring plan for avifauna species, flora and habitat types.
- Database for the ornithological observations and maps.
- Study for the planting of native plant species alongside Loutros stream.
- Visitor management plan at the west side of Evros Delta.
- Leaflets, stickers, educational kit, posters and a poster for LIFE project presentation and Evros Delta, radio spot, video and book