«Conservation Management of Amvrakikos wetlands» LIFE-Nature 1999
The Project, in which OIKOS Ltd was scientific coordinator, aims at:
- The restoration of appropriate abiotic conditions and habitat structure in three lagoons (Tsoukalio, Rodia and Logarou) and in Rodia marsh.
- The restoration of appropriate habitat structure in marshland, water grassland and woodland for the benefit of the selected avifauna species.
- The conservation and long-term increase of the Pelecanus crispus breeding population.
- The decrease of loggerhead sea turtle (Caretta caretta) mortality.
- Safeguarding of the site and reduction of disturbance to the 6 priority bird species.
Avifauna species: Ferruginous Duck (Aythya nyroca), Bittern (Botaurus stellaris), Spotted Eagle (Aquila clanga), Lesser Spotted Eagle (Aquila pomarina), Pygmy Cormorant (Phalacrocorax pygmeous), Dalmatian Pelican (Pelecanus crispus), Loggerhead turtle (Caretta caretta).
Conservation Management Actions
- Construction and operation of sluices and ditches for controlled freshwater input to Rodia marsh; Water quality and vegetation monitoring; Elaboration of a Water Management Plan.
- Freshwater input in Rodia marsh; Reed bed management by re-introduction of water buffaloes in the same marsh; Planting of native species; Selection of birds and habitat monitoring.
- Creation of artificial islets for Pelecanus crispus breeding; Wardening of the colonies throughout the breeding period.
- Protection, treatment, tagging and releasing of caught animals, survey of incidental capture of sea turtles; Collaboration with coastal fishermen.
- Development and enforcement of surveillance / patrolling scheme in the site, in collaboration with the relevant authorities.
- Operation of the two Information Centers (in Koprena and in Salaora); Organization of guided tours at selected spots of the area; Organization of workshops and scientific meetings; Collaboration with local authorities.
- Public awareness and sensitization project.